Unsure of how to confess your love to someone? Try this:
- Acquire several dozen limes.
- Go up to them and then drop all the limes.
- Start picking them up, but keep dropping them. The clumsier you look the better.
- Keep doing this until you have their attention (this could take up to thirty minutes).
- Finally gather up the limes. Try looking a bit sheepish.
- Look them deeply in the eyes and say, “Sorry. I’m bad at Pickup Limes.”
- Marry them.
A bunch of highly-privileged white women pretending to know what is right for a bunch of women from different cultures, nationalities and religion is just as arrogant and misplaced as an all-male panel on a commission on the status of women. How do they even know what they’re talking about?
Western feminists who state that they want to get rid of the veil and the niqab are really only openly engaging in acts of Islamophobia, but they don’t even see it, because Western white privilege allows people to be blind to the discrimination that Western feminists unintentionally perpetrate against women of color and other religions. It’s really that obvious, once your eyes have been opened to it.
Ultimately, what disappoints me the most is how this Charter debate has managed to create a breeding ground for state-sanctioned intolerance and xenophobia to flourish.
Have we reached the point where someone can publicly — and without shame — declare that they’re afraid of a specific religious group and have people agree with them? That someone can refer to women who made a different choice as “crazy” and “manipulated” and have people defend them as concerned feminists who can’t possibly be xenophobic (“they staged and produced Hairspray for God’s sake!”), but only concerned citizens?